Tuesday, March 2, 2010

UPDATES FROM - FEBRUARY 14-21

Hello Family and Friends,

[Once again I am going to write this blog as if I am still in Uganda.]

Thank you all for all of your prayers and thoughts. I can honestly tell you that I truly need them. Have you ever wondered where God is when loneliness smashes into your life? Have you ever wondered why you are going through pain, suffering, hardships, and trials? Have you ever questioned God being distant? I have no idea as to why I am having such a hard time here at GSF. I have no idea as to why I have been struggling as much as I have. All I can is that I am tired and empty! All I can say is that I am drained and ready to leave. However, this is my last week here and I need to attempt to finish strong.
*******

I talked to Mark a few days ago and we concluded that I would leave the teenagers something that would benefit them. We decided that I would put together a study guide on Romans for them to have and study. I started complying all my information from the NASB Key Word Study Bible with a Hebrew and Greek Dictionary, one of my professor's class notes on Romans, and a commentary on Romans. The only bad thing that was hindering me was that the power went out a couple of times. The study guide consisted of a short summary of each chapter followed by several questions for the teenagers to think about. You see that is what I want the teens to do; use their mind and actually think. However, I know that is hard because the majority of teenagers in the world do not want to think after they are done with school activities. My prayer is that the Holy Spirit will guide these teens and give them an urgency to study the Bible, specifically, Romans. It was a little hard to complete this study because I was already on EMPTY and at times did not feel like it. Long story short, I ended up finishing the study guide later on Saturday (Feb 20). I showed Mark the final copy of the study guide and he worked on it to fit 16 pages, which would cost less to make copies (the cost was 100 shillings per copy). He later said it was good and for me to ask how many wanted the study guide during Sunday School. Nine people signed up, including one of the missionary kids. I was completly astonished because I only thought there would be a few to sign up for it. Praise God for that! I do not know if these teens will actually read over the study guide, but at least they have it. Praise God! Amina!
*******

The missionary from New Zealand, Lucreia came earlier this week. It was nice to have some company at the guesthouse again. She was here about a year ago for 8 months. We both are leaving GSF on Monday morning. However, I will be staying in Enteebe for the night and will fly out on Tuesday night. I am staying in an hotel in Enteebe. Hoepfully, Jamie's old supervisors will contact me so we can talk and hang out. I am going to miss GSF and Uganda, but I am very glad that I get to see my fiancee in a few days!

-Chandler Sharpe



[Present time now].....
I can honestly tell you that my journey to Uganda this time was very eye opening. Last time I came here, I was so pumped up for missions (woo hoo!), but this time around I believe my eyes were opened to the reality of the missionary life. God showed me that yes the missionary life is fun and exciting, but on the other hand it can be very draining and tiring. It can be good, but it can also suck. Jamie and some of my friends were glad that my eyes were truly opened to the reality of the missionary life. I have no idea why I went through some hardships and trials there, but to be honest in the end God got the glory. He knows exactly want happened and why it did happen. Thank you all for taking this journey with me. I truly appriecate all that you guys have done! I thank God for all your prayers and encouragement! Praise God for all of you! You guys rock!!

No comments: